Comments

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! My contribution to the dinner table:

Squash casserole, courtesy of Paula Deen. Them southerners sure know how to cook a mean casserole. I was going to cook sweet potato casserole, but decided not to since my aunt is already bringing ‘yams. ‘  Agh, stupid Americans. Get it straight. Yams are indigenous to South America, and only sweet potatoes can be found in the States. But somewhere along the lines someone called them yams, and the wrong name has been ingrained in everyone’s vocabulary, so grocers have to continue mislabeling sweet potatoes as yams. A vicious cycle.

6 Responses to “Happy Thanksgiving!”

1. kledus says:

happy t-day to you too.

I liked mashed potatoes. screw you and your sweet yamatoes

Hot Pad

Beautiful girl, thanks for using the hot pad I made. Now that I know my talents were put to use, I have something else for you when you come up. Love you, honey. P.S. The casserole looks good also!

Re: Hot Pad

I was wondering if you would notice ;) It’s my only hot pad! It sees alot of use. And doesn’t it look pretty in the picture as well?

There is another definition of the word “Yam” besides items grown in South America. In American lingo, a “yam” is by definition a sweet potato that is grown in Louisiana :) I might add that Bruce’s, the world’s largest distributor of “yams,” is located in the heart of Cajun Country in New Iberia, Louisiana. Coincidentally (or maybe not), Iberia Parish is also home to Avery Island, where Tabasco sauce is made by the McIlhenny Co.

You have so got to come visit one day!!! You would be in culinary heaven down here!! :)

Hmmm, so does that mean you get them cheap? And yes, I know in American lingo a yam is a sweet potato. But why on earth do we have to call them yams? Who changed the name to begin with??

And our supermarkets don’t sell the yams from louisiana…most I’ve seen are from california :)

Probably because some cajun or creole ancestor didn’t know what to call it so they called it a “yam,” and that was how it stayed. Hmm…if they’re selling you a product called a “yam” from california then you’re getting ripped off…you’re not getting a “yam,” you’re getting a sweet potato :-)

Good luck on your finals!! I’ll try and give u a call sometime when exams are over since I haven’t talked to u in forever. Miss ya!